Thursday, July 29, 2010

The weekend is almost here...

and I can't wait!  I'll be headed down to Galveston and a day at the beach.  I am in need of a lazy beach day, I can tell you that!  There will be busy days coming, with all the Willow House excitement breaking next week, and it won't be too long before the kids are back in school.  Factor in my school, work, Meg's move, and I think I better take a chance and relax while I can! 


While I am there, I will be thinking of my dear friend Kari.  She is in St. Luke's critical care unit, awaiting a heart transplant.  Kari and I have been friends our whole lives; she is married and has two children.  Through the years Kari has had various health issues, and several years ago, she was told she would need a lung transplant.  She had to walk around with an oxygen tank, pretty much remove anything in her home that could trap dust and allergens, and was on a list for the transplant.  Then, things began to improve.  She was off the oxygen, doing well.  Last year, she started having problems again, and it was decided this was a heart issue.  She had an initial surgery, which was to repair a leak, and hoped that would be the end of it.  Since that surgery, she has had issues with fluid retention and shortness of breath.  On a recent visit, Kari was told she would need a mitral valve replacement.  Her cardiologist recommended they try a different medication first, to see if it would be effective.  Kari entered the ho spital, hoping she would be home soon.  She had a reaction to the medicine, and it was decided that a heart transplant is her only option.  Two days ago, Kari's kidneys failed.  She is currently on dialysis, heavily medicated, and in and out of consciousness.  She has been moved up to the top of the transplant list.
Now, Kari and I have been known each other almost our whole lives.  We don't get together often, but our children are friends and she married a wonderful man who was also a friend of mine.  Kari is just a good person - you know those you meet and just know they are good?  Even though she's going through all of this, in a recent Facebook post she wrote "Knowing God is in control gives me peace".  I know how much I love Kari, so you can only imagine the love her family and friends have for her.  She comes from a close family, and I know her sister is suffering right there with her.  Please pray (hard) that Kari receives her heart!  Her kids need her, her husband needs her, her family needs her, and her friends want her to be around for another 40 years!  I appreciate your prayers for this dear family!!!

No comments: