Monday, July 9, 2018

KETO update

I just wanted to do a little health/Keto update.  Wade was having some really high blood sugar readings earlier in the spring, so we decided to do something.  I had been researching Keto and following a local FB group to get as much info as I could for a few months and I felt like that was the best way to go initially.  We decided to start the day after Easter.  We took out all sugar and as many carbs as possible - we try to eat 25 g or less (20 for me) each day. 

Right away we both noticed no heartburn and less bloating.  Within two weeks Wade had cut out his injectable insulin and was only taking half of his Metformin dosage.  Within a month he wasn't taking any Metformin at all.  He still monitors his blood sugar readings daily and all is normal.

As of today, Wade is down at least 32 pounds (probably more, but we didn't weigh on the same scales from the beginning).  I didn't weigh before we started, so my first weigh in was two weeks after we started.  I'm down 24 pounds!  Wade hasn't been able to work out yet due to his shoulder surgery and the elbow surgery he will be having soon, but about 3 weeks ago I started trying to go at least 2 days a week.  Sometimes I get in 4 days, and I will work on making that more regular in the days to come.  This summer has been kind of crazy so we are readjusting our routines.

We have gotten tons of info from our local FB group, Keto AF (And Fasting) and a youtube channel/website called Keto Connect.  Lots of recipes, great support, and lots of helpful information.  I don't know that we could have gotten started without all of that.  I was overwhelmed and confused in the beginning, but now I realize it isn't really that hard LOL.  

We approached this as a total lifestyle change in our way of eating, so we plan on staying on this until we reach our goal weights and then maintain.  

Here's to healthier days ahead!!!

No comments: