Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend Update...

Well, I know it's been a little while since we posted. Last week was a really, really tough one to get through.

First of all, Caleb was assigned to DAEP (Alternative School) last Friday, to begin on Monday, so that had him pretty worried, which in turn worried us. Do you know what it's like to have a 10-year old who is worrying like that?

Then we were at a softball tournament ALL weekend long, so nothing got done around the house. The softball was fun though!

Worst of all, Nonnie headed to Atlanta on Saturday and then she & her sis were going to check on their mom, my Grannie, but got the call that they needed to come "Now!" on Sunday. Lucky for Mom she was that far along in her trip. They hurried up to Tennessee, where their 2 brothers met them.
My Grannie (Berniece Lois Duggan Acuff) never regained consciousness after becoming "unresponsive" that weekend. She passed away early in the morning on Tuesday, February 24. She was 83 years old. The obit and the memorial were really neat - some great pictures of my Grannie, who was a beautiful woman!
But none of that tells what she really was... a poet and an artist, a world-class baker, a woman who reveled in making a beautiful home and taking care of her family. My grandparents always made visiting us "grands" a priority, and we saw them 2 or 3 times a year. When we were little kids, Grannie would record herself reading books to us and mail them so we'd hear her voice. I remember her filing my fingernails as we drove over the Mississippi Bridge because she knew I hated being up so high. We'd go pick peaches and strawberries in the summer, and Grandpa would make the world's best strawberry jam to go on my Grannie's homemade bread.
They were so excited to be Great-Grandparents (Nannie & Bawpaw), and we took our kids many years to their home and visited our family's heritage up in the Smoky Mountains. Grandpa was a member of the Acuff family - and loved to "pick" and sing. Grannie's family had lived in the Smokies when she was a girl, and moved out when it became a national park. They loved to share family history, and Grandpa was ALWAYS taking pictures and showing "slide shows" with his famous popcorn.
Grannie prayed for us and loved us all - and now she's back with my Grandpa, from whom she never wanted to be apart, and my Dad, who they thought of as their own son. And I know I'll see them again someday. In the meantime, I miss them so very, very much...

So I'll write more later and post some pictures, but for now my heart is just too heavy.

No comments: